You have a passion for something specific or you have a product or service to sell and you wonder, should you start a blog?
Blogging is NOT for everyone and blogging is NOT as easy as some websites lead you to think. There are a number of things you should consider before you start a blog. If you are blogging for fun then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t start a blog. If you are blogging and want to monetize your blog or use it to enhance your products or services then it takes time to do all the things you need to do. You want to make sure your blog ends up being worthwhile and making you money. It is beneficial for you to have a blog if you have a product or service as it can enhance your offerings.
- Do you have the time? Blogging is time-consuming. You need to have the extra time. This isn’t just a “let’s sit down and type a few posts out” deal. If you are selling a product or service or even just monetizing your site for affiliate links you need to learn all the things…social media, disclosure rules, SEO, HOW to run your blog, using photos, google analytics, and more. Even if you plan to hire someone to run your blog – you still need to know the basics so you can explain what you want. You need to stay active on social media and keep up to date with the changing rules and trends.
- Are you motivated to continually post? Whether you are writing a post or recording a video you need to be consistent to build up your fan base.
- Is your topic something you can continue to write about? Is there enough content and are you passionate enough about your topic to keep turning out content?
- Are you patient? If you are starting a blog to start a business or make money from affiliates/ads/etc. then you should know that it takes time. You can’t grow your blog and following overnight. It takes time to make quality content and have people follow you and trust you.
Reasons why you would start a blog:
- Your blog can make money if you are patient and determined.
- You become an expert at your topic – whether you were an expert before you started the blog, or you became one while you writing the blog, now you are seen as an expert. Your name out there and create a brand for yourself. You establish yourself as an authority in the field you are writing about which helps you….make money!
- You can create new opportunities for yourself which you may not have been able to do before. You will meet new people and potentially partner with people for products, services, guest posts. You will create lifelong friends in the process.
- The blog can explain your product or service. Your blog can show the benefits of buying the product or using your service with the articles you publish. If you establish yourself as an expert as previously mentioned then people want to buy from you.
- The most important reason is that you can make a difference. There are a lot of people out there that may not know what you know. You can teach them in a way that others may not be able to. You can create a business while teaching people your knowledge which is a bonus!
There are so many reasons on why you should or shouldn’t start a blog. Do the research first. Realize it takes time and patience and if it is something you have your heart set on, jump in and do it!