You can change your mindset so you can have a more positive outlook on life. It can make your days drastically better. I am not a woo woo person but I am really loving a lot of self help books lately. I am not the type of person that repeats positive phrases over and over again. That does nothing for me. But there are things I have done that have helped change my mindset for the better.
- Surround yourself with positive people – make it a point to bring positive people into your life. The more people that are positive in your life the more positive you become.
- If you notice people that complain a lot cut them out of your life. Seriously- debbie downers bring you down, even if you are in a fantastic mood if you start talking to a debbie downer your mood immediately shifts. I had a friend who would complain every time I got on the phone with her. It was a daily occurrence. If it wasn’t a problem with her job then it was an issue with her family and I can’t even count how many people she knew that passed away. While I understand she wasn’t happy with her life she needed to figure out what was going to make her happy and I had to distance myself from her. I hope she’s doing well but distancing myself made my life drastically better. There are times where you can’t distance yourself from a family member so you need to filter and try to limit your time talking to them.
- Stop and change your thoughts when you catch yourself being negative. I’m not saying you can never be angry. Allow yourself to be ok with being angry during certain times and move on. Don’t dwell on it. I have mentally caught myself being negative about things that don’t matter. Changing your thinking even if it’s just 50% of the time makes you a happier person.
- Don’t expect perfection but do expect yourself to progress. If you make plans and it doesn’t go well then just go with the flow. Everything won’t be perfect at all times so know that going in and be ok with having plan b’s.
- Meditate or do yoga. I’m not a yoga person and I don’t meditate in the traditional sense. I do however make sure to get 10 quiet minutes to myself to just think and breathe. It makes me calm, relaxed and definitely a more positive person when I can get a few minutes to myself.
- Listen to music that makes you happy. It has been proven time and again that music is uplifting. Listen to it, dance and be happy.
- Take responsibility for your life. Stop blaming others for your circumstances. Everything that has happened to you is because of choices you have made. Take responsibility and if you don’t like it fix it. Blaming others just makes you crabby and has you coming off as poor me.
Changing your mindset is not easy. Find what works for you and do it. Changing your mindset a little bit can make a big difference in your happiness. Not everything works for everyone but trying different things and making a conscience effort to do them can make you a much happier person.