**The post below may contain affiliate links. I will receive a small compensation if you use these links. For my full disclosure policy click here**
You read my posts about starting a company and decided this is for you. It’s time for you to sit down and name your business. You start to think and think and think and can’t decide so your momentum stalls and you go nowhere with getting your company off the ground. This is a situation that I run into time and time again. People get so held up on naming their company that it stops any work they could be doing towards getting it going.
I don’t think you should take longer than a week coming up with a name for your company. Worst case scenario you rebrand and change everything over (I did this twice last year as I was narrowing down my focus). It’s not ideal, but it’s not the worst thing to have to do if your initial name doesn’t end up working for you. You don’t want to freeze everything over a name however you still want something that is going to convey your message. Here are a few tips for naming your business:
- Brainstorm phrases that are related to your niche. Just grab a piece of paper and just start writing words down that go with your niche. Combine those words with other words to come up with your company or brand name.
- Don’t ask everyone what they think. No one is going to have the same feelings and instinct towards naming your company as you will.
- Make sure it’s something people can pronounce and remember
- Check to see if the domain is available- you can use Siteground to check if the name of your company is available in a domain name.
- Choose a name that will appeal to your niche.
- Make sure your name is catchy but relevant. You don’t want people to wonder what your company is.
- Search the name you want to use in google and see what comes up. You don’t want people searching your name and getting all kinds of weird or inappropriate names coming up.
Once you find the name you like and make sure it is available PURCHASE IT! You don’t want to wait and then see that it’s gone. If you haven’t already read my domain and hosting info then click here!
Have you heard the phrase “Done is better than perfect?” It’s absolutely true. If you let naming your business hold up your progress then you will never get your business going. Brainstorm, see how things make you feel, do some research and get moving!