If you don’t have a business background then starting a business, especially now, can be confusing. Whether you are leaving your 9-5, are currently out of a job or just looking to start your own business there can be some steps you can follow to make your beginning a little easier.
- Figure out what type of business you are going to start. There are literally thousands of things you could do and this is probably the hardest part.
- Research – decide what you want to do, make sure there is a market for it and figure out how you are going to stand out from everyone else. You would be surprised how many people are doing what you are doing or selling what you think you might want to sell. Know all aspects of the business and what you will need to do to achieve a successful business. Know what a successful business will look like to you. Know who your target audience will be. It can take some time to be consistently bringing in an income. Make sure you know how you will live your life until your income can support you.
- Create a Plan – Knowing who your target audience is, is only part of the info. You need to know how you are going to reach your audience, what your expenses are going to be, how you are going to market your business and products, how you are going to sustain your business if you get into a lull etc. Know what your budget is going to be and stick to it.
- Create a Presence – website, social media etc. As someone with a marketing background, I always suggest creating a website. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy. Buy a theme, use WordPress and set something up. The first thing a lot of people do to check out a company is to check their website and check out the company on social media.
- Establish yourself as the expert – people want to know that they are coming to someone who knows what they are talking about. Show that you are the expert via blog posts, podcasts or youtube videos and via your social media channels.
- Be prepared to do everything – When you start a business or blog you have to be prepared to do everything. Unless you have a ton of money stashed away to help start your business you will need to learn how to do it all. Even if you have money to pay other people to help your business get started you should know how to do the basics.
You can also read previous blog posts: