Business mistakes happen. There is SO MUCH to do when you are starting or growing your business. Unless you hire an expert to do every step for you, you will make mistakes and learn from them. Here are 5 business mistakes new business owners make.
- Taking forever to make a decision. Done is better than perfect ladies. I know so many people who take so long to make a decision that time passes them by. Pick the business name, create the website, write the blog post, record the podcast and make the video. Almost all of it can be updated and changed later. I changed my business and name multiple times over the last 6 years. I started off doing something completely different than what I went to school for and what I worked in the corporate world for and ended up back in Marketing. It can all be changed.
- That being said…Focus and take the time to build your business. Once you make a decision focus on it. Give it your all for at least a year. It can take time to grow a business. Changing what you do every 3 months isn’t going to give you time to know if your business is going to work. It will also make people wonder if you really know what you are talking about when you keep changing the topic you are in business for.
- Copy what someone else is doing. What works for someone else may not work for you. Each person is different and what attracts a customer to one person may not attract them to another. Be unique.
- Don’t prepare to be in business. There are a lot of people who think they are going to start a business and the money will come rolling in. It rarely happens that way. Most people need to continue working either part-time or full-time OR they save enough for expenses for a prolonged period of time so they can focus on their business and not worry about how their bills will be paid.
- Don’t create relationships with people because you have an online business. If you are starting an online business you should still be creating relationships, both online and in person. Creating relationships is what sends more people your way. Relying on the fact that you are online so people should just come works for a few lucky people. People need to get to know you, like you and trust you before they make a purchase from you and a referral can go a long way to getting people to do that.
Want more info? Keep reading!